Thursday, May 13, 2010

Job Search 2010: Take Three

It's been a little over a month since I've been unemployed, and I've started my job search again. And by again, I mean for the third time this year. By now, you'd think I'd be a unemployment pro. To be honest, I haven't even revised my resume to my liking yet. I don't think I ever will. I mean, it's pretty, but that's pretty much it. But if I don't even have prospective employers with whom to share my resume, what's the point?

So I took to the internet this afternoon and searched the listings of five different websites. (I already get automatic emails from all the big job websites like monster.com.) Just my luck, the Las Vegas Review Journal classified section was experiencing some annoying technical difficulties, allowing me to view job listings, but only the leftmost half inch of the posting. Am I applying to be a classy Las Vegas Strip hostess or to dance at a strip club? Html only knows.

Another major problem I always run into when job hunting in Las Vegas is that many of the job for which I'd otherwise be qualified require headshots. I don't have these, nor do I have the money to obtain them. If I did, I wouldn't be looking for work. Some employment listings even say things like, "Send photos," with the caveat, "Don't worry. I'm not a pervert." Oh, phew. Now I feel comforted. I can TOTALLY trust the guy who needs photos before he'll set up an interview for his potential future secretary. I'd personally rather know I'm applying for something sketchy than be surprised later.

In the end, I wound up finding two jobs that look interesting: rare book salesperson and hookah hostess. Neither require photos. Now excuse me while I write my cover letters.

2 comments:

  1. What is hookah? It doesn't sound good, Nissa...
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, good luck, my dear!!

    ReplyDelete