Sunday, August 1, 2010

Keeping Fit in the Desert

Well, it's been pretty hot lately. So hot I don't want to go outside. Some people here head to the gym for exercise. Others, whether seasoned locals or just workout obsessed, actually still jog, bike, or circuit train in the heat of the afternoon. I guess if you like Bikram yoga, it's the same idea.

A few summers ago, I was driving to take a short, early summer hike at Red Rock Canyon. For those of you who've never been there, it begins on a piece of land outside Las Vegas where the desert starts to meet the mountains. The terrain can be pretty steep, even driving. Well this lady with six-pack abs was jogging uphill. She was jogging uphill in the desert in the summer. I parked, finished a hike and started driving again only to pass her in my car and find her still jogging. She did appear to be on roids, but come on!

Anyway, I thought I'd seen everything in terms of extreme workouts until yesterday. While exiting my neighborhood, I glanced around to admire all the power walkers and joggers pacing around the park across the street. Then, I saw a brisk walker sporting not only a six-pack, but a full fifth of whiskey. No open container laws here folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment