Friday, September 10, 2010

Do Drink the Water (How to diet on vacation)

Well, I'm in the Atlanta airport on my way back to Vegas from a lovely trip in Jamaica. Normally, I'd be kind of worried to go home. Not only do I usually feel pretty depressed to return to the real world, but I also get scared when it's time to step on the scale again. Fortunately for me, on this vacation, I drank the local water, and boy, did that make eating difficult.

You see, the resort we went to only offered bottled water for guests staying in the suites, and since we weren't on our honeymoon, we just booked a normal room. Also, the only other real difference between a regular room and a sweet suite was a plunge pool, which everyone said sucked.

Anyway, that left only a few beverage choices at the resort: tap water, coffee made with tap water, juice made with tap water, and booze. Most of the time I chose booze, but there were several occasions when I wanted something that would actually satiate my thirst. So I broke down and drank water.

At dinner on our first full day, I felt kind of sick. I just assumed this was the combination of alcohol and sun I'd had that day. But then I started to get this sick feeling after every meal. Finally, on the last day, I abstained from water and water mixtures altogether and drank a lot of alcohol, and I felt much better. But by that time, I hadn't been able to eat as much as I usually would on vacation, so in the end, water contaminants ended up saving me. I never got really sick. I took part in all regular vacation activities. Red Stripe made me feel fabulous. The only better vacation diet I can think of is if I'd contracted a parasite. Those are supposed to make you look really skinny.

No comments:

Post a Comment