Wednesday, October 20, 2010

When it rains, it floods

Between working, going to school full time, launching a new website, and buying my first pair of jeggings, I've been really busy lately. Then, this morning, my life was put on hold when I woke up to ridiculously heavy rain. In any other city, rain means nothing more than dragging around an awkward umbrella, but in Vegas, rain equals Armageddon.

First of all, people in the desert don't know how to drive in the rain. Or if they once did, they completely forget as soon as they cross the Hoover Dam. People drive about 20 mph and STILL insist on crashing into each other. Once, I even saw a car catch on fire in the rain.

Second, the streets flood. The city was built before climate change was even a term that "scientists" could deny, so we don't have a sewer system. This makes Vegas less advanced than India circa 1500 B.C. The point is, I had to drive for an hour to get to work today. And since I know I don't have any readers in Los Angeles, that's a long time to all of us.

But my extended commute did give me time to think. It gave me time to breathe. And it gave me time to make a mental list of everything I wanted to be hit by lightening. None of those people/places were, of course, but it's fun to pretend.

2 comments:

  1. Same thing in Phoenix. We had a big storm two weeks ago with some floos and it's STILL IN THE NEWS. Once sprinkles start I just sort of know everyone driving is going to freak out. I stay home if I can. Usually I can't. But anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angelenos can't drive in the rain either. But it takes us an hour to get anywhere anyway--so double it in the rain. Things flood (like my patio.) Trees fall over. Not much lightening though.

    ReplyDelete