Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Why Even Bother: I Try to Start a Writers' Group

I really have no idea why I even bother. I mean, I've lived in lovely Las Vegas for five years now. (Good god, that's a long time.) I don't know what made me think I could find one or two literate, normal people to join the writers' group I wanted to start with fellow Nebraska alum, Chris Smith, who recently moved to this fair city.

Perhaps I've been reading too much Joyce lately, and I've tricked myself into thinking genius lurks around every corner. I'll tell you one place it doesn't lurk: between LVB and the mountains.

Ok, I probably sound pompous. But really, the only "writers" in this town think they're one bus ride with a Warner Bro's exec away from being the next Steve Spielberg. "I like dogs, and, um...Here's a link to my blog on which I've posted pictures of Rover opposite an acrostic poem beginning with 'rovely.'"

And, "Here's my post-apocalyptic masterpiece wherein women roam around topless for some reason; perhaps the garment district is where they're hoarding the viable Twinkies."

I don't know. I think I give up.

6 comments:

  1. Seriously, if you've got Chris Smith, you are way ahead of most writing groups. When he left us, our group imploded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wish I had gotten accepted to the PhD program in Las Vegas. I'd have fun in a writing group with you two. I could try forming a group here in Denver, but I'd prefer to know something about the writing of at least one other person in the group. Man, the Omaha people have that part easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe go with a writing duo? Most groups are too big anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Omaha people totally have it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should move to Denver. Trevor and Joe said they would consider someday moving to Denver. Melissa only lives a couple hours away. That's starting to sound like a writer's group to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, as long as Shannon doesn't mind having like 6 writers living on your floor.

    ReplyDelete