Sunday, June 26, 2011

There are definitely parts of Bad Teacher to which I relate.



Let me preface this post by telling you the part of Cameron Diaz' character I can't relate to: the hating teaching part. I love being a teacher, I love kids, and I (think I) am pretty good at it.

But then again, I laughed a lot during this movie, which is because there was a lot of truth to it.

First, like Diaz' character, Elizabeth, I never thought I'd be a teacher in the long term. I too envisioned myself marrying rich and never working again, wracking up large credit card bills at Bloomingdale's buying clothes and Manolos.

Second, like the perennially annoying supporting characters in this film, the public school system is filled with well-meaning but irritating educators that often made me want to put my sweatshirt over my head and nap.

Third, an extremely high percentage of public school teachers I once worked with used their hard-earned salaries to buy implants. Unfortunately they didn't perform the courtesy of scheduling surgery during the summer.

That's about where the similarities end. I highly recommend this movie for anyone who has spent time in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment