Wednesday, July 4, 2012

It's a Free Country and Other Things I Can't Stand

It's Independence Day in Vegas, and until approximately 4:30 this afternoon, rain spoiled all the barbecues, parades, and picnics. I find this endlessly unfortunate, considering no Las Vegan would be stupid enough to actually go outside during the summer, except maybe for July 4th.

But don't worry. After the rain stopped, our usually 95 degree summer evening chilled to a comfortable 75, and Dugi and I went to the dog park. For me, it was a great place to see fireworks shot up all over the Valley. For Dugi, it was a chance to feel large because he was one of the only dogs not afraid of the big lights and big noises.



But let me back track a little bit--say 10 or 11 years. When I was a kid, it was really popular for a while to say "It's a free country!" Kids used this ubiquitous phrase as a response to everything from cutting to the front of the lunch line to keeping a messy room. I always hated it because I was a fan of a more detailed, articulate rebuttal. Maybe one involving multiple points and pie charts. Plus, was throwing your vegetables away really the time to pull the independence card? Maybe save that for some kind of public protest or tax evasion.

Anyway, today, on the Fourth of July, I heard an adult invoke this phrase at the gas station. And as usual, he was saying this stupid line in a stupid context. See, he wanted to buy an entire carton of cigarettes, which is dumb in itself, but he also wanted to pay in change. When I stepped in line behind him, he had just dumped an entire shoebox of nickels and pennies on the counter. Well, let me be fair, he had already handed the attendant six dollars in quarters. The attendant was pissed. And when she scowled at him and opened a second register while he counted out $40 in change, he said, "Is it really THAT bad? It's a free country, you know!"

Really, Guy? I'm glad you take your patriotism so seriously. Most people dress in red, white, and blue, and you woke up this morning and thought, you know what would really show Uncle Sam? If I paid for my cigs in metal! I wanted to hit him in the face. After all, it's a free country.

1 comment:

  1. In this manner my buddy Wesley Virgin's adventure begins with this shocking and controversial video.

    Wesley was in the army-and shortly after leaving-he discovered hidden, "MIND CONTROL" tactics that the CIA and others used to get anything they want.

    These are the same tactics lots of famous people (especially those who "became famous out of nothing") and elite business people used to become rich and famous.

    You probably know that you only use 10% of your brain.

    That's really because the majority of your BRAINPOWER is UNCONSCIOUS.

    Perhaps that expression has even taken place IN YOUR own brain... as it did in my good friend Wesley Virgin's brain around seven years back, while driving an unregistered, beat-up garbage bucket of a car with a suspended driver's license and with $3 on his debit card.

    "I'm so fed up with living paycheck to paycheck! When will I get my big break?"

    You've taken part in those conversations, ain't it right?

    Your very own success story is going to be written. You need to start believing in YOURSELF.

    Watch Wesley Virgin's Video Now!

    ReplyDelete